We´re really excited to learn that Dariel from www.wheresdariel.com has nominated us for a Liebster Award!! Gracias Dariel!
What is the Liebster Award, you ask? The Liebster Award is an online award given out by fellow bloggers to new bloggers with under 500 followers to congratulate them / highlight their blog. We feel quite honored!
- Thank the blogger who gave it to you.
- Answer the eleven questions they ask you.
- Nominate eleven bloggers with less than 500 followers.
- Ask those eleven bloggers eleven questions.
- Let those bloggers know that they have been nominated so they can continue the chain.
1) Do you travel with luggage or backpack?
Hamilton: I travel with luggage with wheels. I’ve just obtained a suitcase with the wheels that go 360. I’m probably more excited about it than I should be.
Lucia: I travel with luggage when I´m gonna be living somewhere for 6+ months. Otherwise, since I almost always use the cheap airlines that charge for luggage, I carry a backpack.
Stuart: Well, since I am moved (temporarily permanent) now to Mexico, I brought so many pieces of luggage and boxes as well one backpack.
2) What would you do without the internet / wi-fi access for 1 week?
Hamilton: I rely on internet for things like getting directions and looking up information about businesses. So, I would probably be somewhat uncomfortable, but I’d adjust! (You would find me reading a map upside-down somewhere.)
Lucia: Live my life! I´ve been without the internet many times. Usually when I travel I try not to use it (except to let my family know I´m alive), so I don´t feel like it´s a big deal to be without it.
Stuart: I would be alright. As long as I have a phone to be able to call someone (in Mexico) in case of emergencies, I would feel safe. Being connected to friends and family back home is important to me; however, I already go weeks without talking to some people I care about just because of my generally hectic schedule.
3) If you can only choose 1, mountains or cities?
Hamilton: Mountains! When I’m in the mountains my soul feels like it’s home.
Lucia: I love mountains but I gotta say cities (or cities with mountains!). I´m a city girl, what can I say?
Stuart: Definitely cities. Mountains can be fun, but I would prefer to explore city culture more.
4) Which country / city / island is at the top of your must-see and why?
Hamilton: I’ve wanted to go to Greece since childhood. I want to be in the presence of Mount Olympus and ancient Greek architecture.
Lucia: Uhhh this is a toughie! There´s so so so many places but last year I read a bit about Cambodian history and since then I have been dying to go, so I´d choose Cambodia.
Stuart: Italy. I don’t know why I am so drawn to visiting Italy but I know when my buddies and I go travel through Europe, I want to make sure we explore there.
5) What is the weirdest food you have eaten?
Hamilton: Probably fried chicken gizzards.
Lucia: Mmmm I´d have to say anticucho (cow heart) in Peru. It was street food at a festival, and I´m all about trying weird food in countries, had to be done!
Stuart: I don’t generally eat “weird” foods. I’m not adventurous in that way. Sorry…
6) Are you a dog lover?
Hamilton: Who? Me? I don’t know what you’re talk- I have three dogs. Do you know those photos with kids surrounded by stuffed animals while they’re sleeping? That’s me, but with my puppies. I’m definitely a dog lover.
Lucia: I love dogs but I wouldn´t wanna have one. I´m not much of a pet person (childhood trauma) but I definitely like having cats more, they´re a lot more independent.
Stuart: I am more of a dog person than a cat person… I love my dogs but I wouldn’t say I’m a dog enthusiast.
7) Which camera are you using for your blog?
Hamilton: I haven’t used a camera for the blog yet! But it will probably be the one on my iPhone for a while.
Lucia: A regular Canon which my best friend gave me for my birthday (since I had just lost the one he´d given me for my 21st), talk about a good friend! :)
Stuart: I have been using my Moto X phone for recent photos. Some of the other photos are in my archive and I probably used a very cheap point-and-shoot device.
8) Do you plan your itineraries or play by ear?
Hamilton: I like to seriously plan the parts that ensure I will survive the trip (accommodation, knowing how close I will be to methods of transportation). The parts that I like to play by ear are places to eat and cultural sites.
Lucia: It depends on how long I have in a city, but usually a little bit of both. There´s things I wanna make sure I see and then I like walking around and getting lost in cities to see where I end up (sometimes it´s been not-so-good places lol)
Stuart: I am a planner by nature. I can be spontaneous; though, this is not the norm.
9) Have you ever missed your plane?
Hamilton: Do you know those people who get off one flight and go sprinting to their next flight on moving sidewalks? What jerks! That’s me. Nope.
Lucia: Yup. I had gone to a Buddhist retreat in North Carolina and I had to take a connecting flight at Atlanta. I went to the bathroom 10 mins before boarding started and when I came out they announced that they had changed the terminal to the opposite side of the airport. I don’t know if you’ve ever gone to the Atlanta airport but it is HUGE! So me and half of the passengers missed the flight. I had to sleep in the airport but since I had just been meditating for 3 days I was quite calm, and a bit excited about it. I felt like I was Tom Hanks in “The Terminal”!
Stuart: Oh my goodness, no. I almost did. The jetway door was already closed and I had to beg them to let me onto the plane. Also, I left an item at TSA and they announced that over the speakers as I was begging the airline representatives to let me on the plane. They were merciful and allowed me to run halfway across the terminal to get my lost item (turned out to be my wallet… super important) and board the plane. Throughout the entire trip, I was so nauseous and anxious.
10) Do you prefer to drive, fly or take the train?
Hamilton: I prefer to fly. I appreciate how much time it saves.
Lucia: It depends where, when, and with who you´re going. Would I rather take a 2 hour plane ride or a 10 hour train ride? Def plane! But I really love train rides as well, and then driving gives you the freedom to be spontaneous and stop at a random place if it interests you. All three have their charm.
Stuart: I just recently took the train in the United States. It was a short 3 hour trip. But I really enjoyed it. I had amenities like WiFi and AC electrical outlets. I think train trips sound like a lot of fun. Flying is great too (especially for efficiency). I loathe driving. I tend to get really drowsy from driving… yikes!
11) Are you a Mac or Windows person?
Hamilton: SInce the tender age of 4, I have been on Mac computers. There my fidelity lies.
Lucia: I’m both! I just use whatever computer’s available at the moment. I wrote half of these answers on a Windows and half on a Mac.
Stuart: This is a tough question. In regards to laptops, I am a Mac person. I feel like the durability and quality of product of a MacBook is worth it. For a desktop computer, I would generally prefer a PC running Windows unless I was needing it for some specific purpose where a Mac computer would be more efficient. Additionally (this is somewhat off-topic now), I have the gambit of cell phones: Blackberry, iPhone (4S), and Moto X (runs Android). I loved all the phones I had when I had them. However, I “downgraded” from my iPhone 4S to the Moto X and found that I love the Moto X. Motorola has a solid product that is more customizable and user-friendly that the iPhone line. In terms of tablets, I have an iPad mini. I like the size and the apps available for use. I have not had much experience with any other tablets besides the Kindle Fire.
1. Life to My Fullest: Sha´s already been nominated for this, but what can we say? We love her blog and her personality!
2. Boy, Lost: Honestly, one of the most engaging blogs we follow. His writing style really brings you into the thick of the stories, and let us tell you, he´s got some good ones.
3. The Spadina Monologues: She had us at “Blogging isn´t journalism, it’s graffiti with punctuation.”!
4. Stamped Tramp: Fearless solo female traveler who’s travelled around Colombia and East Asia, need we say more?
5. Picnic at the Cathedral: Just look at that title! How could you not click on it?
6. Rookie Notes: Great posts and, more importantly, a great personality! And she was attacked by a wild trash monkey…adventure awaits!
7. Young, Broke Traveler: A student on a mission to see the world on a tight budget, I think we can all say we love her already!
8. Girls in Polka Dots: Maybe it’s because they’re also a three-blogger blog, maybe it’s their great pictures, maybe it’s the variety of topics they cover, whatever it is it makes their blog oh so very colorful and unique!
9. Zoe Osborne ~ travelling artist: The UK-born artist is sketching her way around the world solo. She’s already taken a four month journey to India and is headed to Vietnam. We can’t wait to see what she does next!
10. Notebook of the Search for a Native Land: This world-traveling, Floridian blogger is seeking to survive her quarter-life crisis armed with a love of the written word and an escape to the Big Apple. Isn’t that the dream?
11: Strung Out: Another blogger making her dreams come true in New York City. Have you ever been afraid to move to/travel through a colder climate? This blogger has tips that will keep you as warm as a Hogwarts student in a Weasley sweater. No literally. She breaks down the engineering of those sweaters.
1. What is it about travel that makes your heart pump?
2. What is one destination you would recommend to everyone?
3. What motivated you to start blogging?
4. What was the first place you ever traveled to, and what was your experience like?
5. What is the dumbest thing you’ve ever done while traveling?
6. Who is one person you’ve met while traveling that you wish you could see again?
7. Where are you planning on traveling next?
8. If you had to settle down in one place and never leave it again, where would it be?
9. What is the one food/drink that you’ve eaten/drunk during your travels that you wish would pop up in your hometown?
10. What is your travel theme song?
11. Do you have something that has gone with you on all of your travels?